For 2018: A New Twist on TOY Categories, Payouts and Sponsors
The TOY payouts have increased for 2018 to $8,000!!!
Plus there will be payouts to tenth place in not only overall but in EACH category!
Newly sponsored categories that showcase not only great local businesses but put the teams front and center as well! BeastCraft BBQ, St. Louis Home Fires, Korte Meats, Uncle Bob’s Spices and Blends, The Cigar Box, Rustic Rub, and Code 3 Spices are this years TOY sponsors and they are just as excited as we are for this 2018 Competition BBQ season!
An exciting change that has come to join the TOY categories is the Rookie of the Year Award! A new award that will showcase a Rookie team for the 2018 season! (Teams MUST declare themselves as a rookie before their FIRST competition of 2018 and to qualify they can NOT have cooked more than FOUR (4) Pro Competitions).
Another new award is the Most Improved Team of the Year! This will take the overall TOY points and compare the increase from 2017 to 2018 and award the hard work and improvement of the winner!
The SLBS Team of the Year (TOY) program is a year-long points chase available for SLBS members. The updated 2015 program is designed to enhance the experience for the teams and provide incentive to cook better than their fellow pit masters. The winner of the TOY will have bragging rights over fellow SLBS cooks, some hardware to put in the trophy case and everyone’s favorite… cash.
TOY Requirements and Calendar
- There is no minimum number of registered teams required to qualify for TOY points
- In order for a team’s scores to count towards TOY points, the head cook of that team must be a fully paid SLBS member.
- If the head cook cannot be present but a team still wants to cook, awarding of TOY points will be subject to review by the current SLBS board of directors.
- The TOY calendar starts January 1st of a given year and ends with the last SLBS contest within that calendar year.
- Any disputes that may arise over the requirements will be referred to the current SLBS board of directors for resolution.
POINT SCORING SYSTEM
Points are awarded in each of 5 categories as applicable to a contest. Note…not all contests will have all 5 categories. Those categories are:
- Up to the top 6 scores per category will be used to determine a team’s total points. Points will be awarded on a scaled system.
|· 1st = 500||· 10th = 175||· 19th = 85|
|· 2nd = 450||· 11th = 165||· 20th = 75|
|· 3rd = 400||· 12th = 155||· 21st = 65|
|· 4th = 350||· 13th = 145||· 22nd = 55|
|· 5th = 300||· 14th = 135||· 23rd = 45|
|· 6th = 275||· 15th = 125||· 24th = 35|
|· 7th = 250||· 16th = 115||· 25th and down = 25|
|· 8th = 225||· 17th = 105||·|
|· 9th = 200||· 18th = 95||·|
- Bonus points will be awarded at a rate of 1 point per team that turns in all 4 meats, capped at maximum of 50 points.
- The top 10 teams in each category will be recognized at the end of the year awards banquet.
- The top 10 teams in each category will receive trophies and cash.
- Teams may track their progress and standings on the SLBS website.