SLBS Joe Hesse Scholarship
The scholarship award is established to recognize the achievements of individuals related to St. Louis BBQ Society (SLBS) members, with an objective of providing financial assistance to pursue completion of undergraduate or graduate level courses.
The 2023 SLBS Scholarship program is open to graduating High School seniors and continuing College students who meet the following criteria:
- Must have gained official admission to, or be a student already enrolled in, an accredited college or university
- A parent or guardian must be a member in good standing of SLBS for at least the past one
- The student must have a minimum grade point average of 0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last school year.
- Student receiving scholarship acknowledges they will provide 10 hours of community service to an official SLBS event i.e.: charity cook, fund raising event, bbq class, or bbq contest. Hours of service will be required to be performed with in 6 months.
The SLBS Scholarship Committee have the final authority over selection of the winning candidate(s). The size of the awards will be determined based on funding availability and the number of applicants.
Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on
July 15, 2023 (Extended to July 31st, 2023). Late applications will not be considered.
- Applicants must submit an application form, completed in its entirety and bearing the applicant’s signature, to be received by St. Louis BBQ Society no later than July 15, 2023
. The grant will be awarded during the summer of that year.
- Applicants must provide a personally composed essay, no more than two pages in length, describing their career plans or regarding personal merit or individual needs.
- Applicants will send an acknowledgement that they will perform 10 hours of community service to the SLBS in an official bbq event with in the next 6 months.
- Applicants must provide two single-page letters of Note: letters of recommendation from students and family members will not be accepted.
- Applicants may email application material to email@example.com or may mail to:
St. Louis BBQ Society – Scholarship 15053 Manchester Road, Ballwin, MO 63011
- The SLBS Scholarship Committee will not consider a candidate who does not meet the above qualifications or fails to submit the above materials as
- Those candidates, who present a plan to enter culinary arts programs, have done volunteer work in their community, show great character, and those who have a financial need will be given additional consideration. Applicants can demonstrate their personal financial contribution to their education by noting employment outside of school and any other scholarships
- The Louis BBQ Society will inform all applicants the outcome of the scholarship process.
- The SLBS Scholarship Committee will review the All decisions are final.
- Unsuccessful candidates may be considered the following year or any year
- The Louis BBQ Society Scholarship is a one-year award. Candidates must reapply each year.
Any questions shall be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can download the application here.